Archive for the "reprap" Category

gCode Visualization

I was working on a project today, which had some serious overhangs. I added support material manually, but needed to make sure that slic3r was traversing a usable path through my supports. Usually, I use Repetier Host‘s excellent built-in gCode visualizer, but it only displays a layer at a time, and I needed to see [...]

Kossel-Linco Delta Printer: Part 1 – Magnetic Effector and Arms + Vertical Carriage

I’m currently designing my first delta 3D printer. It’s based on Johann Rochell’s Kossel Mini, but I’ve modified or redesigned just about every part, except for the bottom vertices. The first design decision I made was to get rid of the expensive linear rails and sloppy Traxx joints. I like the magnetic ball joint concept, [...]

RepRap: Fish Pump Hot End Tip Cooling

I have always had trouble printing small parts and overhangs, because I was too lazy to add cooling to my hot end tip. I sometimes used to just blow a USB fan at the printer, but this has two bad effects: 1) the cooling isn’t localized enough, so it doesn’t work very well, and 2) [...]

Slic3r Support Material Frustration

It’s been a few years since I’ve played with Slic3r, so I was eager to play with the current stable version, v1.0.1. One problem I had when playing with earlier versions of Slic3r was that the support material generation was not yet usable. A part I was designing had a big circular overhang in the [...]

RepRap: Printrboard Surgery

After a hiatus of a couple of years, I’m finally starting to get back into 3D printing. One of my Printrboards got messed up when some wires on my hot end shorted. The hot end temperature was no longer reading correctly. Since my other Printrboards all work correctly, I knew that the problem was not [...]

Arduino 1.0.5-r2 for AT90USB1286 and Printrboard

It’s been a few years since I hacked together the copy of Arduino-0022 that’s been floating around the web, which lets you compile and automatically upload Arduino code to an AT90USB1286. This made it a lot easier to develop Arduino code for the AT90USB1286, and in particular to easily modify the Marlin firmware for the [...]

Reprap: Sexy z-drive

I’ve been using this #10-24 (~5mm) leadscrew for almost a month now, and it’s been working flawlessly. The coupling is just zip ties on vinyl tubing. No slippage at all due to the reduced friction of the tiny nut vs an 8mm nut. Thin leadscrew + flexible coupling = no leadscrew wobble (aka z-wobble) + [...]

Marlin Tuning

To get the most out of Marlin, here are a few simple tweaks. 1. EEPROM Settings By default, Marlin forgets any configuration changes you make via the Mxxx G-codes whenever you reset or power cycle your controller. If you want to remember the settings, so you don’t have to set them every time you power [...]

Reprap: Experiments in Resolution/JHead Modding

I’ve been designing a bot that attempts to get the best possible performance out of a Printrbot-style open frame design.  The design has a long way to go in terms of refinements, but I’ve started testing out the basic concept.  To address the Printrbot’s main shortcoming, the y-axis sits on a very wide base, and [...]

Printrbot Tweaking

I’ve had to do a lot of experimenting and tweaking in order to get decent prints out of my Printrbot (NOTE:  Just to be clear, the Printrbot I built was not from a kit from Brook Drumm.  I self sourced the parts, including the printed bits, which were given to me by a friend.  You [...]